With the Distress Centre of Ottawa & Region being in the not-for-profit sector, we rely on funding from donors, events, partners like the United Way of Ottawa, and the community.
If your workplace doesn't have a charitable campaign program set up, it's quite simple to do!
- Choose an individual to be the fundraising head. It should be someone in the office who has the time & organization skills to dedicate to running the program.
- Decide how you're going to raise funds & set a goal. Are you going to do a payroll deduction? Are you going to hold an in office auction of goods & services? Are you going to hold an event in support of the Distress Centre of Ottawa & Region?
- Promote your fundraising efforts in your office walls, and sub-offices, so that everyone knows what you're doing. IE: Own a bakery? Maybe for a month, 50 cents from every cupcake sold can be donated to the Distress Centre.
- Promote via your Facebook, Twitter, Blog, and YouTube accounts to spread the word (if applicable)
- Once you've reached your goal, or time frame, gather all funds, and have your office administrator either write a cheque to the Distress Centre of Ottawa & Region, and send it to P.O. Box 3457 Station C, Ottawa, Ontario, K1Y 4J6. Or, if you prefer, you can submit your donation online at Canada Helps at http://www.canadahelps.org/CharityProfilePage.aspx?charityID=s11057 Either way, your office then is able to collect a Charitable Tax Receipt for your donation.
- Watch as your funds directly help the Distress Centre of Ottawa & Region, as we keep our phone lines open 24/7 with 'round the clock volunteers.
If you're wanting more information, or would like to inform us about your workplace raising funds for the Distress Centre of Ottawa & Region, please give me a shout. My name is Leslie, and I am the Community Relations Coordinator. I can be reached at 613-238-1089 x 222 or via email at lscott AT dcottawa.on.ca