In May 2013, the annual Ottawa Marathon/Race Weekend happens. Spectators flood the sidelines of the 2k, 5k, 10k, Half & Full Marathon routes to cheer on the thousands upon thousands of runners.
Last year, I (Leslie - Community Relations Coordinator) ran my very first 10k race. I only had a few months of training (just 3 months) and was dealing with shin splits before the race. I ran my race in 1 hour, 29 minutes, with a goal of finishing it it 1:30 - so I did it!
Let me tell you: there were times where I was in shock with how many spectactors cheered me on as I ran the race. Amazing. Really keeps you going.
In 2013, the Distress Centre is looking for YOU to participate in a race, and raise funds for the centre! Not a runner? No problem. They accept walkers in every race, including the Full Marathon. It's an amazing weekend, and your registration fees include a t-shirt for your race, chip for your time, and some great deals from the sponsors.
We're looking to recruit 100 participants to take part in one of the races! You choose your race, your time, and raise funds for the centre from now until May 25 or 26.
It's easy to get started!
- Register. Go to www.runottawa.ca and click on the image that looks like this:
- Choose your race. It's up to you what you would like to participate in. There is a Family 2k, and a 5k race which are excellent for beginners, or if you're feeling ambitious, there is the 10k, 21k and 42k.
- Fill out your registration form, and pay your registration fee.
- Send your name to me, Leslie, at firstname.lastname@example.org so that I have you on record as you've signed up.
- Fundraise. Regiser to fundraise using a personal Giving Page at www.canadahelps.org and click on the Giving Pages option like listed below.
- Set up a Giving Page by clicking the next Giving Page option like this
- Register a Giving Page with Canada Helps by clicking here:
- Go through the set up with your personal details, and you can start by setting up your personal page. Set up your page as you wish - your story, your words. Set your fundraising goal! We ask that all participants raise a minimum of $50. 100 runners x $50 each = an amazing $5000 for the Distress Centre!!!
- Remember! Choose the Distress Centre of Ottawa & Region as your charity of choice! You'll be prompted on-screen to do so. Seach Distress Centre Ottawa, and click "Add to Giving Page". Let your donors know that they will receive a tax receipt for income tax purposes through Canada Helps!
When your page is done, it should look similar to this:
- Run & have fun! All of the funds that are raised, will go to the Distress Centre of Ottawa & Region!
- Get your friends, co-workers and family members to sign up and raise money for the Distress Centre too! We are not limited at 100 participants!!
- Start training! If you've signed up for a 5k or higher, and are planning on running the race, please make sure you take time to train for it. There are lots of running clinics in the city, and a lot of them are free!
We hope to see lots of of participants running for the Distress Centre of Ottawa & Region! Let's make a difference in Mental Health! See you at the start...and finish line!